HomeNewsSportsNike explains why it parted ways with soccer star Neymar

Nike explains why it parted ways with soccer star Neymar

Published on

spot_img

American sports wear giant company Nike, has come out to give an insight on why they parted ways with Brazilian soccer star Neymar Jr.

The multi-million company says that Neymar was accused of sexual assault by a company worker in 2016. The case was however reported in 2018.

Nike asserts that Neymar refused to cooperate in the investigation a thing that triggered the company to terminate his contract.

The sport wear added that due to Neymar’s refusal to cooperate, their investigation was inconclusive. Neymar who had been one of the numerous athletes for the brand ended his working relationship with Nike in August 2020.

This was one of Nike’s high profile sponsorship deals and the company did not cite why they had abruptly terminated the endorsement deal.

While speaking to the Wall Street journal, a representative for Neymar denied the charges and maintained the PSG star’s innocence.

“Neymar Jr will vigorously defend himself against these baseless attacks in case any claim is presented, which did not happen so far,” the spokeswoman said.

Addressing the incident, the company said it would be ridiculous for them to make such an accusation without sufficient evidence.

“It would be inappropriate for Nike to make an accusatory statement without being able to provide supporting facts.” The company statement read.

Nike also added in on why they had ended their working relationship with the talented Brazilian.

“Nike ended its relationship with the athlete because he refused to co-operate in a good faith investigation of credible allegations of wrongdoing by an employee.” Another excerpt of the statement read.

The company added that the incident was meant to be private and not leaked to the media. They therefore set up a private committee to look into the matter after the victim decided to pursue the case.

The company however maintained the anonymity of the victim.

“We continue to respect the confidentiality of the employee and also recognize that this has been a long and difficult experience for her”. Nike added.

This is not the first time the former Barcelona player is accused of sexual related charges. Another accusation of rape was labeled against him in 2019 although it was eventually dropped.

After Nike dropping Neymar, he signed another multimillion dollar deal with Puma.

Latest articles

At least 182 Perish in a Stampede after A football match in Indonesia

Over 182 have been confirmed dead while hundreds more are injured after a stampede...

Tajja Ggasima: Bobi Wine dares Museveni drill Uganda’s Oil

National Unity Platform president Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu popularly known as Bobi Wine has vowed...

StarTimes, FUFA to Broadcast up to 28.5% of UPL Games in 2022/2023 season

Federation of Ugandan Football Association -FUFA has reached a partnership agreement with StarTimes Uganda...

Burkina Faso: Army Take Over the Country in a Second Coup After Eight Months

Army personnel in Burkina Faso have taken over state television and announced that they have deposed military chief Paul-Henri Damiba, suspended the government and the constitution, and overthrown the transitional charter. Damiba was fired due to his incapacity to handle a worsening Islamist insurgency, according to a statement delivered on national television late on Friday by Captain Ibrahim Traore. He said that all political and civil society activities had been suspended and that the borders had been closed indefinitely. For the west African state, it is the second coup in eight months....

More like this

error: Content is protected !!