Uganda has 10 listed companies on Uganda Securities Exchange with MTN Uganda being the last to list.
Valuation of Public companies is attained by multiplying the number of ordinary shares of the company and the prevailing market price of the same company.
Here is the list of 5 largest public companies in Uganda
- MTN Uganda (MTNU) UGX 4.32 Trillion. The largest telecommunication company in Uganda by customer base makes it to the top list of the most valued public companies in Uganda. Having entered in Ugandan market in 1998, the company listed publicly in 2021 issuing 22.5 Billion ordinary shares. With the last share transaction being at 189 shs per share, MTN Uganda is currently valued at 4.32 Trillion Shillings.
- British American Tobacco (BATU) UGX 1.5 Trillion. British American Tobacco is a Cigarette making company in Uganda known for its brands of Rex, Safari and Sportsman cigarettes. With the strict laws against cigarette advertisement, BATU has enjoyed monopoly in the market. The company has maintained a stable share price at 30,000.
- Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited (SBU) UGX 1.3 Trillion. With an asset base of UGX 8.58 Trillion, Stanbic Bank is the largest bank in Uganda by asset base and number of branches. The bank’s share price stands at Shs 26 and is the 3rd largest company in Uganda by market cap.
- dfcu Bank Limited (DFCU) UGX 433.9 Billion. Development Finance Company of Uganda Limited (DFCU Group) is a financial company, the holding company of dfcu bank which is one Uganda’s top banks. The bank went public in 2004. With its share price at 580, the Bank is the fourth most valued public company in Uganda, valued at 433.9 Billion.
- Cipla Quality Chemical Industries (CQCIL) UGX 336 Billion. Cipla is a pharmaceutical company located in Luzira a neighborhood in Kampala. The company listed on Uganda Securities Exchange in 2018. The company’s share price currently stands at 92 and it is the 5th most valued public company in Uganda.