|Date Posted||January 23, 2021|
Finance & Accounting
Deadline of this Job:
25 January 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
WCS’s core business is to conserve wildlife and wild places, working in partnership with government institutions mandated to manage and conserve biodiversity in Uganda. The government of Uganda and its development partners have invested hugely toward the conservation of biodiversity and protection of the environment. However, due to the increasing human population driving forest and wetland loss, these natural resources face enormous threat from people, including refugees fleeing countries experiencing civil unrest such as DR Congo, South Sudan, Burundi, and Ethiopia among others. Political instability in these countries has resulted in sharp increase of refugee population in Uganda leading to the accelerated loss of forest cover and vegetation in refugee hosting communities. In a bid to address environmental degradation in refugee-hosting districts of Uganda, WCS in partnership with Uganda Biodiversity Fund (UBF), Nature-Uganda (NU), and Ecological Christian Organization (ECO) received a grant from the European Union to implement a four (4) year project titled “Restoring and Conserving degraded fragile ecosystems for improved Community Livelihoods among the Refugee and Host Communities of West Nile Region and the mid-Albertine Rift”.
The project is aimed at mitigating forests, woodlands and bushlands, wetlands losses, and improve livelihoods of refugee hosting communities. The project will focus on restoration of degraded forests, woodland and bushlands and wetlands, support sustainable land management practices such as climate smart agriculture, soil and water conservation measures, and build capacity of refugee host communities, relevant governmental and non-governmental institutions responsible for environment protection and biodiversity conservation, and improve environmental planning with respect to refugee settlements in West Nile region (districts of Yumbe and Terego) and Western Uganda.( Kikuube, Kyegegwa, and Kamwenge).
As such, WCS is seeking to a recruit Finance Assistant.
Finance Assistant Position
WCS is seeking to recruit a Finance Assistant to work in the finance department. This is a full time position and Kampala is the duty station with occasional travels to WCS project sites. Reporting Line: Financial Accountant
Duty Station: Kampala
Job Type: Fulltime
Duration: Two (2) years with annualized contracts and renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Expected Start Date: February 1, 2021 .
Finance Assistant’s Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of this position is to assist in providing efficient and accurate financial data, accounting and record keeping of all WCS financial information in accordance with prescribed regulations and generally accepted accounting principles.
This position is primarily focused on delivering day-to-day support to the financial component of program management and administrative responsibilities as outlined below.
The specific duties and responsibilities are:
• Support the day-to-day running of finance office.
• Process requests for cash advances, reimbursements, and purchase orders.
• Prepare payment vouchers, register of payment vouchers and other payment requests received, ensuring valid supporting documents and obtaining the necessary authorization and approvals.
• Maintain filing systems for payment vouchers, receipts, bank statements.
• Assist in bid evaluation and analysis
• Conduct WCS asset stock inventory.
• Ensure vehicle log sheets are duly filled and filed regularly and properly.
• Assist the Financial Accountant in the execution of any other duties assigned to him/her.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree in accounting or an advanced diploma in a similar field.
• Proficiency in MS-Excel and at least one financial accounting software
• A Minimum of two years’ professional experience preferably from Not for Profit Organization.
• Experience in driving will be an added advantage
Job Experience Requirements: One Year
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested person should send the application documents (a cover letter and Curriculum vitae ONLY by email to: email@example.com and copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject:
Finance Assistant Position. The Application should be addressed to:
The Finance and Operations Director
Wildlife Conservation Society
Uganda Country Program
Plot 802, Kiwafu Road, Kansanga