|Date Posted||March 22, 2021|
Transport and Driver Jobs in Uganda
Deadline of this Job:
02 April 2021
Within Uganda , Arua , East Africa
The European Union and the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) have commissioned the Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusamrnenarbait (GIZ) with the programme “Response to increased Demand on Government Service and Creation oi Economic Opportunities in Uganda (RISE)". The main objective of the programme is the improvement of the inclusive socio-economic development of refugees and the host population within the six districts of Northern Uganda, namely Arua, Adjumani. Madi-Okollo, Moyo, Obongi and Terago. The programme combines the support to the district local government structures, efforts to create income and employment and the support for agricultural activities.
GIZ is recruiting a Driver to support the improvement oi the inclusive socio-economic development of refugees and the host population within the six districts of Northern Uganda.
Reports to: Head of Component
Contract duration: 1 year
Ref. No: GIZ-RISE/D/032111
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place. .
The driver is responsible for;
• Safely and responsibly performing all official travel using official vehicles
• Regularly servicing and looking after official vehicles
• Taking account of all available information on road conditions, accessible routes and locations
• Running official errands and
• Assisting with other office services
The driver performs the following tasks:
• Provides passenger transport in an official car tor officer project or programme staff, official visitors and guests
• Runs errands for the project, programme or office, cg. sending letters and messages, paying bills and buying smaller quantities of office supplies
• Helps with transporting goods
• Completes the vehicle log correctly and conscientiously in accordance with GIL standards.
• Cleans the interior and exterior of the vehicle(s) regularly
• Checks oil, water, brakes and brake liquid, tyre pressure, battery levels and the entire vehicle, monthly or every 5,000 kin (whichever is first), headlights, brakes, bodywork for dents etc.
• Is responsible for the project vehicle documents and their good condition, keeping a vehicle log and recording monthly maintenance
• Calculates monthly petrol, oil and lubricant consumption tor the daily cash fund and lot forwarding monthly vouchers to cost accounting
• Reports need for service and carries out minor repairs
• immediately reports all involvement of the projector office vehicle in accidents, including minor accidents, damage, loss or theft of vehicle fittings
Uses all available information (including current radio news on traffic conditions) to update daily knowledge of road conditions, current passable routes and locations, and shares this information with other office drivers.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Assists other colleagues as needed in the project, programme or office it there is no travel pending. carries out other office work on request
• Appropriate appearance and attire (friendly manner with all passengers)
Does not use, at any time the car for his/her own private purposes. Such misuse oi the vehicle is considered a serious misconduct and will immediately lead to a warning and may result in dismissal.
• Uganda Certificate of Education (“O” Level)
• Holds a valid driver’s licence
• At least 5 years’ work experience as a driver with references
• No major accidents in the past 3 years
Other Knowledge, additional competencies
• Excellent knowledge of the English language
• Language skills in Madi and/or lugbara am a must
• Discipline and punctuality
• Resilience and patience
• Familiarity with West Nile region, specifically-Arua, Moyo and Adjumani
• Familiarity with the location of Refugee Settlements in the West Nile Region
• Certificate in mechanics and vehicle maintenance
• Certificate in defensive driving
• Ensures unrestricted availability of vehicles at all times and reports restrictions immediately
• Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed corresponding measures are agreed with management
• Willingness to travel within the country
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 2nd April 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.