|Date Posted||March 22, 2021|
Corporate / Organisation Coordinator
Deadline of this Job:
26 March 2021
Within Uganda , Entebbe , East Africa
The Unit is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts. The Unit is now seeking enthusiastic and experienced individuals to fill the following position:
Grants Officer – (02 Positions)
Position Code: GO -321
Reports to: Senior Grants Officer
Station: Entebbe .
To ensure the external grants portfolio of the Unit is managed efficiently and accurately, including administrative management of grant contracts and budget preparation and justification. Maintaining accurate and up to date records on all external grants and making sure all grant soft (Shared intranet) and hard folders are kept up to date. Updating the grant tracker and assisting in in generating management reports, maintaining an effective communication flow with internal and external clients, preparation and review of agreements/contracts/MoUs.
Roles & Responsibilities
• Assists PIs in preparing a budget (for final review and agreement by Senior Grants Officer) and submitting the financial part of a grant application, and the respective justification;
• Drafting contracts and uploading these on the service desk for the contracts team at LSHTM to review and follow up with both LSHTM team and the partner/donor to ensure the contract gets executed in a timely manner;
• Provides the PIs and or coordinators with regular monthly financial information showing expenditures to date and projected costs until the end of the project;
• Ensures that grants recharge overheads are costed as per the donor contract, follow up with accounts receivable officer to ensure all overheads are captured before management reports are prepared;
• Complete project cost centre request form and inform the PI when ready, ensure that only correct costs are charged, raise call for reversal in case of a miss post;
• Submitting application, maintaining correspondences with donors and partners, creating folders in the pipeline for each application submitted and moving these to projects when awarded as well as updating the tracker;
• Monthly reconciliation of fund balances to ensure the project does not over/ underspend, alerting the Finance Manager/ senior Finance officer when project is almost running out of funds;
• Prepares periodic financial reports to PIs and Donors in a timely manner, keep a proper record of all correspondences with external and internal clients;
• Support PIs with preparation of no cost extension and carryover of funds requests;
• Supervise Grants Assistant and ensure they are well guided as they execute their duties;
• Maintains and ensures the safe custody of financial documents and copies of external grant contracts on file;
• Provides support during project specific audits, carrying out due diligence on partners and sub awardees;
• preparation of monthly timesheet template, follow up with staff to ensure all complete time sheets appropriately and filing them in respective folder; and,
• Ensures the key stakeholders receive a weekly report on the status of contracts in progress.
• Bachelor’s Degree in business administration majoring in accounts of financial management, a partial professional qualification such as ACCA, CPA, KPA, CIMA;
• Possession of a post graduate diploma is an added advantage;
• Should possess three years’ work experience as Grants officer in a busy research organization or any NGO;
• Knowledge and experience working with MS Dynamics Navision ERP packages and budgeting is desired; and,
• Should possess financial management skills.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting.
Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & academic documents into one PDF document. Deadline for application is 26th March 2021, 5:00pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification. Only online applications will be accepted.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert. Any form of lobbying at any stage will lead to automatic disqualification. By submitting your personal information, you consent to the MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit holding and using it in accordance with its recruitment policy and procedure. The Unit reserves the right to verify documents attached with the relevant awarding institutions to authenticate their validity.
MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda research Unit is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse work force and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.